Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Heavenward

November 17, 2009

My hope is that this blog will be an encouragement not just for myself but for my family and friends as well. I'll post quotes, thoughts, prayers, music, humor and anything else that might be worth mentioning.

"Heavenward" comes from Phillippians 3:12-14. "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

My prayer is that we might be people who don't see ourselves as "arrived" but in constant need of Jesus. We have a purpose, a goal, and a home; It's heavenward in Christ. We often (daily) need to be reminded that this place isn't our home. So why do we get so attached? The answer is usually because we've taken our eyes off the goal. To be "heavenward" is to die to ourselves, pick up our cross, store treasure in heaven, evan be willing to share in his sufferings, be like him in his death and somehow, attain the resurrection from the dead (Philippians 3:11).
The cost is great but the reward is eternal

No comments:

Post a Comment